The township is named for David Cogan, a pioneer who settled on Larrys Creek in 1825. Cogan was one of the few settlers in the area for many years, but wearying of his isolation, he left his homestead in 1842, as did a neighbor named Carter. Cogan’s and Carter’s houses were used by hunters and travellers. The name Cogan’s House was given to the area, hence the name, Cogan House.
Although Cogan House Township has, for many years, had a crime watch program in place it was recently amended. Now known as the “Neighborhood Crime Watch Program” it was adopted by the Cogan House Township Supervisors and became effective as of September 10, 2007.
If you wish to have a school, church or meeting event listed here please contact Theresa Roupp at the township office 570-634-3185 or e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org at least one week, preferably two weeks, prior to the event.
Voters in Cogan House Township may cast their ballots at the Cogan House Christian Church social hall at 3779 Cogan House Road. Polls are open from 7:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m.